Income support

National Insurance

From 6 April 2024, the government is cutting the main rate of Employee National Insurance (Class 1 NICs) from 10% to 8%. This is in addition to the rate cut in January from 12% to 10%. Over 12 months this is a tax cut worth over £900 for the average employee on £35,400, compared to what they’d pay under the December 2023 rates.

Estimate how the April 2024 National Insurance contributions changes will affect you.

Increasing your pay

The National Living and National Minimum Wage rates rose in April 2022. Check your pay to make sure you are getting the pay rate you’re entitled to.

Check your pay

Check if you’re eligible for Universal Credit

If you’re on low income, out of work or cannot work you may be eligible for Universal Credit. The government has made changes to allow working families to keep more of their money.

Check if you’re eligible for Universal Credit 

Claim Marriage Allowance

Marriage Allowance allows you to transfer 10% (£1,260) of your personal tax allowance to your husband, wife or civil partner if you earn less than the personal tax allowance, which is usually £12,570.

Find out about Marriage Allowance

Extra money available for carers

You could get £76.75 a week if you care for someone for at least 35 hours a week and they get certain benefits. You do not have to be related to, or live with, the person you care for.

Check if you’re eligible for the Carer’s Allowance

Pension Credit for those on low income

You could get extra money to help with your living costs if you’re over State Pension age and on a low income: even if you have savings or own your own home.

Check if you’re eligible for Pension Credit

Get help with savings if you’re on a low income (Help to Save)

Help to Save is a savings account. If you’re entitled to Working Tax Credit or you’re receiving Universal Credit, you can get a bonus of 50p for every £1 you save over 4 years.

Find out about Help to Save

Child Trust Funds

A Child Trust Fund is a long-term tax-free savings account for children born between 1 September 2002 and 2 January 2011.

For those who hold an account but do not know the Child Trust Fund provider, or if you’re unsure whether you have one or not, we can help you find out.

Find a Child Trust Fund

Get help if you cannot pay your tax bill

Contact HMRC as soon as possible if you cannot pay your tax bill. We’re here to help, and you may be able to pay what you owe in instalments, depending on your circumstances and what you can afford.

Find out what to do if you cannot pay your tax bill on time

The MoneyHelper service provides free, confidential and impartial help tailored to individual needs.